/Hungry, thirsty, sleep-deprived Some immigrants without food nearly 24 hours before first court appearances

Hungry, thirsty, sleep-deprived Some immigrants without food nearly 24 hours before first court appearances

John Weber, federal public defender, stated that they were hungry and thirsty and had not slept well. U.S. Magistrate Linda Anderson stated that a woman with diabetes became sick in court because agents had failed to provide food and medicine. Some of them went without food for as much as 20 hours before U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement arrived and ordered lunch at McAlister’s Deli. Weber stated that the group of 30 immigrants, who were among 680 workers arrested during immigration enforcement raids at central Mississippi chicken plants on Aug. 7, arrived at Jackson’s federal courthouse before 7 a.m. Monday after having traveled in the early hours. This was the first day of court appearances since the raids. Omodare Jupiter, the federal public defender, stated that he had received similar reports from those detained who arrived for court on Tuesday morning. The attorney brought two bags of groceries from Froogles in Jackson to Anderson’s courtroom. This was a violation the court’s rules. Jupiter was stopped by a marshal who refused to give her name to Mississippi Today. The U.S. The U.S. Marshals Service enforces court rules and takes custody of criminal defendants. Jupiter stated that they have not eaten. Jupiter said, “They haven’t eaten since yesterday at 5 p.m.” The agent disagreed and stated that detainees had sacks of food on their bus ride to the courthouse from ICE. She criticized the defendants seated with their lawyers and interpreters in front of the courtroom. She said, “They had the chance to eat.” Jupiter stated, “If they didn’t eat it that’s on them.” Anderson stated that she was happy with the marshals’ representations that detainees were given food Tuesday morning. Anderson stated, “That wasn’t the case yesterday. They addressed that.” Anderson refused to allow anyone to eat inside her courtroom. Anderson also stated that she had received conflicting reports regarding the meals of detainees. Anderson stated that she doesn’t know the truth between the two. Anderson said that the confrontation reflects the confusion expressed in the aftermath by advocates, loved ones, and lawyers. The operation saw the detention of approximately 380 people who were accused of illegally entering the country or falsifying documents to work. The largest workplace raids in America in more than a decade were carried out in August. They had been planned for almost a year. Bryan Cox, an ICE spokesperson, said that the U.S. took custody of criminal defendants who claimed not to have eaten. Marshals Service when they were indicted, as far back to two weeks in some cases — while Chief Marshals Deputy Shermaine Sullivan stated that any detainees remain with ICE until they are seen before a judge at initial arraignment. Sullivan stated that it was up to the arresting agency, during the travel, to provide food, medical care, and any other assistance necessary, up to the point at court. After their plea hearings, those remanded to marshals’ custody will be taken to one of the U.S. facilities. Marshals Service, Madison County Correctional Facility and Tallahatchie County Correctional Facility are all options. These facilities also house ICE detainees. Jupiter informed Judge Anderson that ICE also provided conflicting information regarding the location of certain detainees to attorneys. First, Jupiter stated that male detainees had been located at Adams County Correctional Facility Friday after they were transferred to Jena (La). Cox didn’t answer any emailed questions regarding this transfer. Jupiter stated that people have been moving around at all hours over the past few days. “There are many people missing because this hasn’t been organized as well the court would wish it to.” By Monday, less than 20% of workers had been indicted. This was nearly three weeks after they were arrested. These 71 indictments cover a wide range of offenses, including those charged with illegally entering the country after having been deported. Others were charged with fraudulently using a social security number in order to remain in the U.S. or obtain employment. Illegal reentry carries a maximum sentence of two years imprisonment, while the maximum penalty for fraud could be up to 10 years. The majority of workers pleaded guilty, but they will remain in U.S. custody. Marshals custody. Judges have been asked by the government to refuse bond to defendants. They claim they pose a threat to the community and are a flight risk. The defense attorneys have requested bond and hearings will continue throughout the week on the issue. One defendant from Guatemala, her hair in a messy braided french braid, sat Monday afternoon on a bench at the courtroom. She looked out into the middle distance and occasionally let her head drop down. Officers gave her a black headset with receiver so she could listen to the U.S. Magistrate Judge Keith Ball speak. She could barely raise her right hand to swear in because she was tied to her left. The translator repeated her mostly uncomplicated answers into the microphone, propped up on a wooden base. The judge was also presented with two other defendants. One of them said he couldn’t read the indictments. Five of the five defendants in front of Judge Anderson Tuesday were elementary school graduates, with most having just completed the first grade.